About Me

My photo
I'm Jena ~ I absolutely adore do it yourself projects! Be sure to check my blog page every Friday for a new DIY project. I'm always looking for new ideas, so feel free to email your projects to me at thediydoll@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2012

"Your Big Day!" frame

I love projects that are custom, one-of-a-kind! This project could be used for a wedding, birth of a baby, graduation day, or any other special date.  Here's what you'll need:


  • 8x10 stretched canvas
  • Mod Podge
  • Paint brush
  • Scissors
  • Newspaper from the day of the special event (day of the wedding, day the baby was born, etc.)
  • Photo
Cut out columns from your newspaper.  Making them different lengths adds character to the piece, in my opinion.




Paint a layer of Mod Podge onto the canvas & place pieces of newspaper in different directions.  Then paint a thin layer of Mod Podge around the edges of the newspaper to make sure it sticks well.

Do this to the entire canvas, including the edges.  Be careful not to use too much Mod Podge, or your paper will wrinkle.  But make sure you aren't too stingy with it, or it won't stick. 

Once the canvas is entirely covered with newspaper, paint the back of your photo with Mod Podge & place it in the center of the canvas.  Paint over the photo with Mod Podge.  Don't panic when it looks like this:


It will dry clear, I promise! Just have a little patience :)


And there you have it!! I spent $2.50 on the canvas at Hobby Lobby, $0.29 for a 4x6 photo, already had Mod Podge, paint brush, and scissors on hand...grand total of $2.79!  

No comments:

Post a Comment